Sunday, January 12, 2014

New Year's Resolutions: 2014 Edition

Wow, just finishing up my first week of my second semester at BYU, and let me tell you, 2014 is going to be my year! I'm ready for everything it has to hold and its been a great year so far! I'm loving my classes, and got away from homework for long enough to watch BYU basketball crush Pepperdine, go to the "Winter Bash" dance put on by BYUSA, and have a bonfire in the canyon this weekend.

So I'm a little bit (about 12 days) behind, but just think of this as a reminder to think of your resolutions that you hopefully haven't forgotten by now. Normally my resolutions include:

-exercising every day, counting calories, and only having one treat a week in order to lose that same 10 pounds I want to lose every year.

-doing my homework right after school every day and stop procrastinating to get better grades.

-practice piano every day so I don't make a fool out of myself when I'm asked to play in seminary.

-lots of other boring things I won't do by February

Although I always have great intentions, there are a couple problems with these resolutions. First of all, expecting perfection of myself will always lead to failure. I've realized that I need to strive for improvement rather than perfection. Second, these are things where I would enjoy the end result but for the most part, hate the process.  Besides that, I have the same resolutions every year, which I think should tell me something regarding my success...

My resolutions this year are about being happy with the end result, but also enjoying the process that will lead me to that end result! Because even though I would love to be 10 pounds thinner and a super student, I also really like eating dessert and taking naps and I think I will always hate practicing piano no matter how hard I try. So here are my resolutions (and some nice provided-by-Pinterest pictures) that are about becoming a little bit better and a little happier in 2014:

1. Spend less time on Twitter/Instagram/Vine. This is all about living in the moment. And maximizing the time that I have in bed for sleeping. Because by the time I've gotten in bed and checked Twitter and Instagram, that's about 20 minutes less sleep. Which is precious currency in my crazy life! So my plan is to only check social media a couple times a day for no more than 5 minutes at a time, not checking my phone while I'm with friends, and just focusing more on living in the moment!
This kind of makes me think a little bit. Although I think everything can be good in moderation, so I can tweet and live :)
 


2. Eliminate the word "like" as a filler word from my vocabulary. I believe that the way we speak has a huge influence on how we are viewed by other people. I want to portray my intelligence through the way I speak, and graduate from college sounding like a professional rather than a Valley girl. And let me tell you, I didn't realize how much I said "like" until I started to try to stop saying it. It's rough, but Erica and I are doing it together and we are going to sound so educated by the end of the semester!
This is so true. The withdrawals are not easy.

3. Spend an hour every Sunday writing letters or emails to my friends and family that are on missions or just far away from my daily life. I've been pretty awful at keeping in touch with some of my best friends from high school that are on missions and I want to change that!

4. Become better at the art of Intuitive Eating. This is all about listening to and respecting my body, eating mindfully, and eating what I want to eat! I've gotten a lot better at this in the past few months and actually dropped a few pounds when I was really trying. (And I still enjoy dessert too! Always a plus for a dessert fan like me). I truly believe that this a practice that will keep my healthy and happy my whole life. (PS Watch this video if you want a reminder about how much dieting sucks.)

5. Run a half marathon. Yikes. Did I just say that? This is something that I've wanted to do for a while now, and 2014 is the year to do it! I'm looking at one in May and I'm getting pretty excited. I can probably run about 3-4 miles right now, so only about 10 to go (ahh!), but I'm ready for the challenge.

Can I make this happen?

6. Focus less on myself and more on others. I have the great opportunity to be surrounded by so many lovely people and I want to do everything I can to help them, which I know will make me happier too. I think Heavenly Father can help me out with this one as I pray for opportunities to serve people around me, and as I have the courage and charity to take those opportunities.

Love.


7. Be content (and embrace!) silence. My life is so crazy: filled with people, music, events, and endless to-do lists and I've realized that I have actually started to feel uncomfortable when nothing is going on. I want to make more time for relaxation: just a little more silence and some more before-bed yoga. I need to make sure I'm staying sane, after all!

I'm so excited for this year and all it has to bring. Here's to a great 2014 and whatever it throws at me!

Love, Cady

No comments:

Post a Comment